For backpackers exploring the beautiful landscapes of New Zealand, having a reliable and convenient banking solution is essential. In this article, we will examine the best banks for backpackers in New Zealand, focusing on ANZ, ASB, BNZ, and Kiwibank. These banks offer specialized services and features that cater to the unique needs of backpackers, such as low fees, flexible accounts, and easy access to funds. Additionally, we will discuss Westpac Bank and why it may not be the ideal choice for backpackers. Read on to find the perfect bank to support your backpacking adventures.
Best Banks for Backpackers in New Zealand: Features
ANZ understands the needs of backpackers and offers a range of services tailored to their requirements. Here are the key features that make ANZ an excellent choice:
- Transaction and savings accounts suitable for short-term stays.
- A wide network of ATMs and branches across New Zealand, providing easy access to funds.
- International money transfers and foreign currency exchange services.
- Convenient online and mobile banking platforms to manage accounts on the go.
- ANZ’s Backpacker Package, designed specifically for those on working holiday visas, offering benefits such as reduced fees and dedicated support.
ASB is another top bank for backpackers, offering flexible and convenient banking options. Here’s why backpackers choose ASB:
- Transaction and savings accounts with low or no monthly fees.
- A user-friendly online and mobile banking platform, allowing easy account management.
- International banking services and foreign currency exchange.
- ASB’s GetWise financial education program, which provides useful tips and guidance for managing finances during a backpacking adventure.
- 24/7 customer support for any banking inquiries or assistance needed.
BNZ offers backpackers a range of banking services and features to ensure a hassle-free banking experience. Consider the following reasons to choose BNZ:
- Everyday banking accounts tailored for backpackers, allowing easy management of funds.
- A user-friendly mobile banking app with budgeting tools, helping backpackers keep track of their expenses.
- Assistance and support for setting up a bank account in New Zealand, including guidance on documentation requirements.
- Convenient access to a wide network of ATMs and branches across the country.
- Personalized financial advice to help backpackers make informed decisions about their money.
Kiwibank is a popular choice among backpackers due to its customer-centric approach and dedicated services. Here’s what makes Kiwibank stand out:
- Simple and flexible transaction and savings accounts with low fees.
- Easy-to-use online and mobile banking platforms for convenient account management.
- Kiwibank’s Zero Visa Debit Card, which allows backpackers to make purchases without incurring international transaction fees.
- Kiwibank’s commitment to ethical banking practices, resonating with backpackers who prioritize sustainability and social responsibility.
Bank Comparison Table
Which Bank is Better to Avoid
While Westpac Bank is a reputable institution, there are a few reasons why backpackers might consider other options:
- Higher fees compared to some other banks, which can be a concern for budget-conscious backpackers.
- Limited account options specifically tailored for backpackers’ needs.
- Relatively fewer branches and ATMs compared to other banks, which can affect accessibility in remote areas.
For backpackers in New Zealand, ANZ, ASB, BNZ, and Kiwibank emerge as the top choices. ANZ provides specialized packages and international services, while ASB offers low fees and excellent online banking features. BNZ offers personalized assistance for setting up accounts, and Kiwibank appeals to backpackers who prioritize ethical banking. However, backpackers may want to consider other options besides Westpac Bank due to higher fees and limited account options. Remember to compare the features, fees, and services of each bank to make an informed decision that suits your backpacking needs. Happy banking on your New Zealand adventure!